Strange Attractor: Sky News got the argument it wanted

Suw Charman-Anderson: "Ultimately, you get the community that your marketing deserves. If you market your forums as News Fight Club Online, you’re going to get exactly that. Asking people if they are ‘looking for an argument’ sets up an expectation in the user of extreme hostility, so they will react intemperately to the slightest thing."

Salon.com: Why I like vicious, anonymous online comments

Matt Zoller Seitz: "Some media outlets have decided they've had enough of the endless juvenile trolling and hate-mongering, and have either adopted a stricter moderation policy ... But for all the downsides of comments-thread anonymity, there's a major upside: It shows us the American id in all its snaggletoothed, pustulent glory, with a transparency that didn't exist before the Internet. And in its rather twisted way, that's a public service."

Holdthefrontpage.co.uk: Quiche tale goes national after agency intervenes

How aggregation works in traditional media: "The Leamington Observer story about 24-year-old Christine Cuddihy being forced to show her driving licence to staff at her local Tesco languished almost unnoticed on its website for almost a week. However after an agency repackaged the story after tracking down the woman involved, it quickly became national headline news."

HTFP: Court ruling ‘clarifies law on user-generated content’

"As soon as Newsquest received the legal claim from Mr Karim, the readers' comments were removed from the websites concerned. Mr Justice Eady concluded that Newsquest websites were acting as hosts of the reader comments for the purposes of Regulation 19 of the Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002 and therefore would not be liable for any damages even if the material was unlawful."

Techdirt: Say That Again Say That Again by Mike Masnick Fri, Jul 17th 2009 12:11pm Share This Filed Under: comments, community, douglas bailey, journalism, media, newspapers Permalink. Media Consultant: Comments Are Bad, Please Shut Up

"[Douglas Bailey] assumes that because plenty of comments on newspaper sites are dumb the problem is the commenters or the very act of commenting itself. ... The problem isn't that the commenters are dumb and pointless, but that the newspaper failed to put in place incentives to encourage smarter comments."

Times Online: Even a child isn’t spared by the nameless internet poisoners

Sunday Times columnist India Knight picks up Martin Belam's post about the difficulty of complaining to the PCC view to ponder the nastiness of anonymous commenters on newspaper sites. Bonus item: "I wrote sniffily about Twitter a few weeks ago, saying it was needy and megalomaniacal and plain weird for any sane person to spend the day posting random thoughts onto a public site. I’d like to eat my words. I was completely wrong: Twitter is amazing."

Invisible Inkling: Why commenting on news sites still stinks: Further notes on the commenting survey results

Ryan Sholin has some tips on improving the way newsrooms engage with and moderate online comments: "[N]o matter what technical solution a news organization implements, there are still a set of very human problems to be solved in the newsroom if you really want to raise the quality of the comment threads on your stories."